Lakeshore Community Church, check your ‘in’ box

March 12th, 2012, Promulgated by Bernie

Many of you may remember the Understanding Roman Catholicism series offered by the Lakeshore Community Chruch in Greece, NY, last April. It was promoted not just to the members of Lakeshore church but to every household in Greece in a mass mailing. Rather presumptuous! (How would the members of Lakeshore feel if all the Catholic churches in Greece decided to preach for three Sundays on “Understanding the Lakeshore Community Church’s Beliefs and Practices.” That would be rather presumptuous on the part of the Catholics.) One Catholic pastor of a Greece church remarked something to the effect that One would think that if someone wanted to learn about Catholicism one would ask a knowledgeable Catholic.

The Lakeshore series was covered each week by Cleansing Fire which ran a series of posts that reported on the content of the series and offered comments. (week 1, week 2, week 3)

Anyway, in a spirit of helpful service, I have invited the pastor of Lakeshore, Vince DiPaola, his staff and his congregation to the “Catholicism” series -free of charge- being offered by the Knights of Columbus (see flyer, below). So far I have not received one reservation from anyone there! How curious.

Dear Pastor DiPaola,

Knowing of you and your church’s interest in Catholicism I would like to extend an invitation to you, your staff, and congregants a special invitation to the viewing of the DVD series “Catholicism” sponsored by the Knights of Columbus of Saint Damien of Molokai Council 11411. You and the members of Lakeshore Community Church are offered free admission. A flyer is attached with detailed information. Please feel free to copy and distribute it among your members. Perhaps you could post it on your bulletin boards and place it on you calendar of events.
The series is not doctrinaire or argumentative but rather explains what Catholics believe and why. It does so in a visually pleasing way. We are not looking for a debate; but merely offering information from a Catholic point of view.
If you and any members of you church call to make a reservation please mention Lakeshore Church to obtain a free admission.
The Peace of Christ be with you always,
(Bernie)
(Click on the flyer to see a larger image)

Incidently, you can attend individual sessions for $4 each -all four sessions for $15.

13 Responses to “Lakeshore Community Church, check your ‘in’ box”

1. avatar BigE says:

I agree. Nice touch…and well done.

2. avatar JLo says:

Marvelous! Too bad it could not have been printed in the Greece Post, because I doubt the good reverend is telling his flock about how they can learn about Catholicism THIS year. +JMJ

3. avatar Richard Thomas says:

One of the most useless ations is speaking with one of these zealots whose persona is based on trashing the Catholic Church. They do not listen to reason and are more intent on shouting down their opposition.

4. avatar Scott W. says:

You are right Richard. “None so blind…” as they say. When I used to do Catholic forums and we got one of these types trolling, I’d actually answer them as patiently as possible and as if there posts were in good faith. I didn’t do that for them, because I knew it was a waste, but I did it for the lurkers. That’s why I agree with JLo–there should be a way to appeal over Pastor DiPaola’s head.

I just posted the invitation on their facebook page

6. avatar andrewdavidmitchell says:

Hi, I’m Andy Mitchell, one of the Lakeshore online admins.

You’ve done an excellent job of capturing our attention!

I know this may sound like a cop-out, but my wife plays in the RWCCO and rehearses on Monday nights. I can’t come in person because I’m alone with my kids on Monday nights and I’d rather not leave them with a babysitter.

But if there’s a way to send the four episodes my way, I commit to watching the whole thing. If you’re interested, I’d be willing to correspond with you publicly, not as an official of Lakeshore, but as another person doing my best to serve our Lord.

7. avatar Richard Thomas says:

Andy,

You, your family and your congregation are in our prayers. God bless.

8. avatar Bernie says:

It is wonderful, Andy Mitchell, to have your comment. Thank you.

A couple of things I would like everyone to be aware of regarding the KofC “Catholicism” series.

First, “Catholicism” is a ten part series; only the first four episodes are presently scheduled. The others will be scheduled if there appears to be a good response to the first four. Keep that in mind.

Second, “Catholicism” is presently airing on EWTN. The KofC presentations, however, include much more than what you will see on TV. Based upon the study guide that is sold to accompany the series, the local KofC has created Power Point programs that summarize and highlight the content of each episode (which can be packed with information and therefore easily forgotten). Guiding questions will also help participants to think about how the content of each episode might apply in their lifes. The KofC is also making available to participants, free, all relevent sections from the Catechism of the Catholic Church that apply to each episode -five pages for the first episode alone. You get a lot with the KofC presentation of the series.

Fourth, “Catholicism” is not a doctrinaire or argumentative series. It simply explains what Catholics believe and why, but in a way that displays in breathtaking visual detail the richness of the Church’s global culture. You won’t find a “we’re right and they’re wrong” approach. Just a beautiful exposition of the faith.

Fifth, don’t forget the pastries and coffee.

Please, please, if you plan on attending call or e-mail ahead so that we get enough pastries and brew enough coffee. See the flyer for contact info.

Hi Andy! Thanks so much for reaching out.

You’ve done an excellent job of capturing our attention!

It was heartwarming to have received your attention.

I know this may sound like a cop-out…

not at all! I’ve got little kids – we all know what it’s like. There’s no rush on any of this and there are more than enough alternative resources.

I wrote up a doc to a protestant friend of mine recently who expressed interest in Catholicism. I just went in and removed the personalizations from it and republished it here:
    It obviously needs some work still, but it might be a good starting point for you.

Feel free to keep the communications open as we are most interested in dialoging.

10. avatar Hopefull says:

So far, I’ve seen/heard 8 of the 10, and I must say that I found #7 on the Eucharist to be the most moving so far. Given the oft-quoted percentages of Catholics reported to have weak faith in this area, I’d have to urge that the DVD on the Eucharist be shown whenever there is a limitation on the actual number of DVD’s that will be screened.

11. avatar Abaccio says:

Andy,

I am glad to hear that you are so open to viewing the Catholicism series! I’ll be praying for you and your family.

12. avatar Eliza10 says:

I’m impressed by Andrew! Yes, there are some who only want to be right and fear being dis-proven for what they have already said, however, I knew there would be some who want to know the truth. Andrew appears to be that. (And I also didn’t want to leave my son with a babysitter ever, so I respect that!)