+Clark’s continued silence speaks volumes

January 31st, 2012, Promulgated by Abaccio

When was the last time you heard contraception denounced from the pulpit?  How many parishes stress the importance of Natural Family Planning in their Pre-Cana classes?  Have you EVER heard your priest give a no-frills defense of the Church’s teachings on contraception?  In all of my years in all of the parishes I’ve attended, I have never once heard a homily that even broaches the subject.  Why not?  That answer, dear readers, is simple.  For the past forty-four years, (and, indeed, before that!) since His Holiness, Pope Paul VI promulgated Humanae Vitae, countless Priests, Bishops, Religious, and Laypersons have either ignored or openly dissented from the teachings contained therein.  This has been especially prevalent right here in the Diocese of Rochester.

For Reference, HV 14 states:

Neither is it valid to argue, as a justification for sexual intercourse which is deliberately contraceptive, that a lesser evil is to be preferred to a greater one, or that such intercourse would merge with procreative acts of past and future to form a single entity, and so be qualified by exactly the same moral goodness as these. Though it is true that sometimes it is lawful to tolerate a lesser moral evil in order to avoid a greater evil or in order to promote a greater good,” it is never lawful, even for the gravest reasons, to do evil that good may come of it (18)—in other words, to intend directly something which of its very nature contradicts the moral order, and which must therefore be judged unworthy of man, even though the intention is to protect or promote the welfare of an individual, of a family or of society in general. Consequently, it is a serious error to think that a whole married life of otherwise normal relations can justify sexual intercourse which is deliberately contraceptive and so intrinsically wrong.

HV 17 prophetically continues,

Finally, careful consideration should be given to the danger of this power passing into the hands of those public authorities who care little for the precepts of the moral law. Who will blame a government which in its attempt to resolve the problems affecting an entire country resorts to the same measures as are regarded as lawful by married people in the solution of a particular family difficulty? Who will prevent public authorities from favoring those contraceptive methods which they consider more effective? Should they regard this as necessary, they may even impose their use on everyone.  (See: China) It could well happen, therefore, that when people, either individually or in family or social life, experience the inherent difficulties of the divine law and are determined to avoid them, they may give into the hands of public authorities the power to intervene in the most personal and intimate responsibility of husband

Dear Bishops, Priests, Religious, and Laypersons:

THIS WHOLE DEBACLE WAS PREDICTED IN 1968.  44 YEARS AGO.  WAKE UP! PREACH THE TRUTH!

Fr. Charles Curran’s obstinate post-baptismal denial of the teachings of the Church on this very topic in 1986 caused then-Cardinal Ratzinger to ban him from the teaching of Catholic Theology and cost him his job as a tenured professor at the Catholic University of America in DC.  Curran, as many of you know, remains a priest in good standing of the Diocese of Rochester.  As far as I know, the reason for this is quite simple: Bishop Matthew Clark AGREES with him!  Of course, we all know the long story of His Excellency’s history of dissent on issues of sexual morality: his near-obsession with the promotion of the homosexual agenda, his implicit support of the use of a transgendered crucifix, his appointment of heretical Sr. Pat Schoelles as President of the French Road Heresy Factory, his 33 non-appearances at the March for Life, and the forcible removal of his imprimatur from the 1986 heretical book Parents Talk Love: The Catholic Family Handbook About Sexuality, as it approved of contraception, masturbation, and homosexuality.  The list goes on and on and on.

Thus, with over 116 American Bishops speaking out about this issue, Bishop Clark’s continued silence speaks volumes.  You may recall the last time American Bishops rallied together to defend the Faith: The Notre Shame Scandal.  The final count of those speaking out against the decision was 83.  Now, there is perhaps an argument of “pastoral sensitivity” or some such that could be reasonably defended when ignoring the events at Notre Shame.  THERE IS NO EXCUSE not to speak up and defend the TRUTH in this instance.  There is still time, after 33 years of failed leadership, for His Excellency to turn over a new leaf.  That time, however, is running shorter by the day.  The clock ticks down…170, 169, 168, 167, 166…

I once, when traveling, met a priest of another Diocese.  When he recognized me as a visitor (Pastoral Sensitivity!), he asked where I was from.  When I told him that I was from Rochester, New York, he exclaimed, “Rochester! Beautiful country up there!  It’s a shame they don’t have a CATHOLIC Bishop!” With this in mind, let us look for some guidance from the more courageous and orthodox among the American Episcopate:

Bishop Jenky of Peoria asked that the St Michael Prayer be prayed during the General Intercessions at EVERY MASS.

Bishop Zubik of Pittsburgh stated that, “It is really hard to believe that it happened. It comes like a slap in the face. The Obama administration has just told the Catholics of the United States, “To Hell with you!” There is no other way to put it.”

Bishop Etienne of Cheyenne guides our voting consciences thus: “When an Administration, after seeking feedback on such a controversial ruling, still decides to act in a manner that violates our freedom of religion, it is quite telling…”

Bishop Olmsted of Phoenix, and dozens of other bishops implore us to “commit ourselves to prayer and fasting that wisdom and justice may prevail, and religious liberty may be restored.”

Bishop Paprocki of Springfield states that, ” the president was being either dishonest or delusional or he is incompetent” due to his claim last November that the concerns of Catholics were unfounded.

Bishop Bruskewitz of Lincoln noted that “in an act of mockery,” “Kathleen Sebelius, a bitter fallen-away Catholic, now requires that all insurance, even when issued privately, must carry coverage for evil and grave sin.”

Bishop Lori of Bridgeport explains how this mandate will directly harm the poor and vulnerable

Cardinal-Designate Dolan of New York explains that it is absurd to believe  that “we might suddenly be more willing to violate our consciences 12 months from now,” and goes on to explain that “This latest erosion of our first freedom should make all Americans pause. When the government tampers with a freedom so fundamental to the life of our nation, one shudders to think what lies ahead.”

The (Arch)Bishops of Washington DC, Kansas City, KS (Sebelius’ home diocese), Wilmington, DE (Biden’s home diocese), as well as our neighboring Bishops in Buffalo and Syracuse have spoken out on this mandate, as have the Bishops of Ogdensburg, Rockville Center, and Brooklyn. For those keeping score at home, every single Diocesan Bishop in New York State EXCEPT  +Clark and his heretical best friend, Bishop Hubbard of Albany, have spoken out on this mandate.  The silence is deafening.

**Disclaimer:  If, in fact, Bishop Clark speaks out about this issue, I will be exceedingly glad to rescind the parts of this post that speak ill of the man.  I am not holding my breath, but that is the outcome for which I am praying.  Note: This does not constitute His Excellency “speaking out” on the issue.**

Tags: , ,

22 Responses to “+Clark’s continued silence speaks volumes”

Bishop Clark is too busy planning his next homily on compassion for homosexuals to care about this attack on our faith.

2. avatar dallas says:

From Texas:
    Homily for January 22, 2012
    DIFFICULT:
    My friends, today, I ask for your prayers. I shall preach something which is difficult to say and which may be difficult to hear. TOday, I am going to talk about abortion and contraception. This may cause some of you to feel uncomfortable and others to get upset yet it requires a prophet’s voice. I am encouraged by the 1st reading where Jonah’s voice of truth allowed for Conversion of the hearts of the people of Nineveh. Perhaps my simple voice will lead to the conversion of some here or in our society.

INTRODUCTION
    Yesterday morning, many from our church went to downtown Dallas to join thousands of other Catholics to march for life. As we marched for life, I was amazed at seeing all the youth and all the babies. Everywhere you turned there was new life and there was vitality. Seeing all these babies, it reminded me of a time when I was in Rome. I loved looking at the babies in Rome. You see Italians arent having children. They average 1.1 children per couple. So when I would see a baby stroller I always wanted to see what the baby looked like. I remember this one time looking into the stroller and in horror saw the ugliest baby ever. I’m serious. It was ugly. It had big teeth and a big nose. Its ears stood up and was real pointy. It was so hairy and it had long tongue. When it spoke, it said rough! It was a dog! They put a dog in a baby stroller. You see this is the secular dream. Do not get married and just be partners, not to have children but to have a couple of dogs and to seek to live a comfortable life where one would do what one would feel like. This is advertised all the time. People dont have babies so they try to make dogs into their babies.

Today, January 22, 39 years ago, the United States supreme court passed a judgement that has caused the death of over 50 million children. 50 million children – this is twice the number that live in Texas completely wiped out. This has been a genocide on an unthinkable level. There are other areas of life that need attention as well – but none whose evil is as widespread as abortion. The bishops remind us that over 3,000 babies each day die within the womb of their mother.

This creates a great wound in the mothers of these children, those that are involved and throughout society in general. Most of these teen mothers feel forced and coerced into this. They may be scared and feel like they have no one to turn to. I remember a sign I recently saw of a young woman. The top of the sign says pregnancy. Around her head is a thought circle that says, “My mother is going to kill me.” Around the womb of the girl is another thought circle that reads, “My mother is going to kill me.” My friends, as witnesses of life we need to help those who are scared or those who are injured by abortion and help them to receive the healing they deserve. The healing and forgiveness of these wounds can be had through Jesus Christ.

HEALING WOUNDS:

We all can be forgiven. We can live in peace. This wound affects all of us. Even I: I remember when I lived in the fraternity house and one of the brother’s pressured his girlfriend to go to planned parenthood. I didn’t know what that meant at the time. I do know that she ended up having an abortion shortly after and I realized that I had missed an opportunity to intervene in someone’s life and keep them from experiencing such a serious wound in their lives. If you have a similar wound, the Church is here for you. Come to the sacrament of Confession and begin the healing if you have been affected in any way by this. Ministries in the Church like Project Rachel are there to help you heal.

CONNECTION BETWEEN ABORTION AND CONTRACEPTION

Today, I just don’t want to look at our woundedness from abortion but want to go to an evil that is much more rampit in our society and is the foundation for which abortion comes. It is that of contraception.

In the supreme court case Roe vs. Wade in 1973, it was argued time and again that women needed the availability of abortion in the event that contraceptives would fail. Contraceptives created a mentality that was contrary to life. The natural result of this would lend itself to abortion. Otherwise they would have an unwanted child.

John Paul II in The Gospel of Life said, “Indeed, the pro- abortion culture is especially strong precisely where the Church’s teaching on contraception is rejected” (n. 13).

PHILOSOPHY

Ultimately, both abortion and contraception have the same root. It declares a subjective triumph over objective natural law. Contraception states, “I know this act is ordered towards procreation and committed union, but I dont want a baby, but I still want the fun and therefore I will put myself above natural law.” The same is true with abortion. I know that life is sacred yet I will kill the life. This same so-called “right to privacy” has been listed as a reason to allow same-sex unions to be called marriages. It the elevation of the person’s will over natural law. Once this takes root in a society, it opens the door for all sorts of evils and ultimately the destruction of society.

Mother Theresa said once that a society that begin’s to kill its most vulnerable, its own flesh and blood that it will rapidly and quickly cease to be civilized.

AUTHORITY OF CHURCH

Humane Vitae mentions that this would happen when civil law detached from natural law. With this Paul VI says “Who will prevent public authorities from favoring those contraceptive methods which they consider more effective? Should they regard this as necessary, they may even impose their use on everyone?” Didn’t this happen in China under their one – child policy?

This imposition is no longer seen in countries outside of the United States, but in the United States. The current administration under the leadership of the President has declared that all Church’s and religious institutions must be included in the mandatory provision of Contraception and abortion as part of their health care plans. This is the first time that the constitution has been thrown aside so to impose the contraceptive mentality and disregarded individual and communal conscience. This is evil and must be stopped.

CONTRACEPTIVE MENTALITY
    My experience as – You are too young to have too many children.
    – I love you so much that I need to protect myself. WHAT!!!

SPIRITUALLY:

Spiritually, if one chooses to prevent conception, this ultimately renders marital sex to a commodity of pleasure where the other person is used to render pleasure to the other. And then what happens when the contraception fails. The child would be deemed us unwanted – a scourge – and must be eliminated. Children no longer are seen as a gift but they are seen as either a commodity something that I can go shopping for – think of invitro-fertilization – or a burden or even worse a disease. Since when have we as a society decided that we would provide pills to alter a normal functioning body system to “protect it” from a baby. The language itself is one of horror. This is a dark shadow of what God intended marital love to be.

THEOLOGY OF BODY:
    God chose to enter into the life of a family. The center piece of every family is the committed love between a man or a woman. The reality is that God by entering into the womb of Mary and into the family structure with St. Joseph as the head, that he shows the great dignity of the family. Moreover when Jesus goes to the wedding feast of Cana, he is showing that the wedding is a great gift. A wedding feast is a time of joy and a time of new life. I have been blessed to go to many marriages of friends and family. Some stand out in my minds more than others. One in particular is a friend who went on a retreat the week before their marriage. Why? They understood that their marriage had a sacramental dimension. It reflects and was an image of God’s love.

We see in marriage an physical example, a physical icon of the love of the Trinity. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one and are constantly giving themselves completely over to each other as a self gift. In marriage, the two become one. The two people who give themselves over to each other in acts of self-giving is a icon of this love. The Fruit of the Father’s love for the Son, is the Holy Spirit. The fruit of the husband’s love for the wife is a child. This icon can even be taken to be seen physically when the husband and wife whose very body is God’s image becomes one in consummation. When the couples love is Full, Faithful, Free, and Fruitful, the image of the Trinity is made manifest for the world to see. This shows forth love and life. Marital love needs to be Full, Faithful, Free, and Fruitful.

HUMANAE VITAE AND MARRIAGE:

Humane Vitae (Paul VI – 1968) states, “Married love particularly reveals its true nature and nobility when we realize that it takes its origin from God, who “is love,” the Father “from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named” My friends this is worth a wedding feast that spans days and years.

CLOSING:

My brothers and sisters we are all invited to the marriage feast of the marriage between Christ and His Church. Depending on our state in life God will ask us to be faithful to living out our promises Faithfully, Fruitfully, Fully, and Freely. This is how we can come to the marriage feast clothed in charity as St. Gregory the Great says. This is how we are to ensure that we have put on the wedding garment. It is our decision. May we choose to live a life of true freedom and charity as we celebrate the marriage feast this day.

3. avatar Raymond F. Rice says:

The DOR appears to be dead except for some struggling laity and a few priests. Bishop Clark seems to have been very sucessful in completing his agendum but has turned the diocese into a spiritual wilderness where people cry out in spiritual hunger!!

God has not forgotten the cries of his children.

4. avatar JLo says:

The news on FOX reported that at all Catholic Masses thoughout the country letters were read from various bishops teaching and preaching the truth about this attack on our religious liberties, etc. How shameful that I heard nothing, absolutely nothing, at Holy Cross on Sunday nor at the last three daily Masses I’ve attended this week. We have no leadership from Buffalo Road, but that should not preclude priests from talking about this!!! Shameful, the silence. +JMJ

5. avatar Richard Thomas says:

When St. Bernards were going from parish to parish in the 1990’s they always indicated they were out to “Change” the Church as it taught about contraception. Look at people like Sister Schoels who advocated contraceptive use publically.

Now, this leader is clever. He knoes he will be reprimanded and possibally replaced if he puts his name on these kind of dissertations so he escapes the heat by having his henchmen and henchwomen, ehom he personally appoints to leadership positions, to speak boldly what he himself believes and wants to speak. In effect he has introduced heresy through his personally appointed people.

But there is hope. After all, haven’t tens of thousands of people simply left his church? If so, they are protected from this heresy. Lets hope the next bishop will lead them back.

On other noted, Hillary Clinton and people from Planned Parenthood have used Catholic Churches in the DOR as platforms for their agenda.

He gets away with this. He gives lip service to NFP by listing the teachers but gives them no support and as stated by others, he nor his priests never preach about it.

6. avatar md0852 says:

At the website Catholicvote.org Bishop Clark is listed as a supporter. A link takes you to the DOR website where there is a statement from the USCCB that calls for people to write their representatives. I did not see anything directly from the Bishop.

7. avatar JLo says:

Yes, it’s “something”, Gretchen, and I understand that his letter is being stuffed in parish bulletins for next Sunday. Other bishops around our country asked their priest sons to preach and teach on the subject LAST Sunday, and those bishops did it in plenty of time to have the word go out during LAST Sunday Masses, but Rochester was left clueless again. And I wonder if Bishop Clark has asked his priests to preach/teach on the subject or is just having them stuff his few paragraphs into their bulletins.

One is always torn between crying and screaming. I need to return to “Abandonment to Divine Providence” to get my head and heart calm, because lack of leadership in both our country and our Church is quite draining. +JMJ

8. avatar Richard Thomas says:

I’m sorry friends. This is moral schizophrenia. On the one hand, he urges Catholics to visit the USCCB web site and states our consciences may be violated.

He does not say how they are being violated. Pretty non teaching.

But then he has advocated for over 30 years via St. Barnyards and other priests, religious and laity to form one’s conscience that allows the use of artificial birth control.

I think he may be just giving lip service to the problem with the O’bama administration. We’ll never hear another utterance!

9. avatar militia says:

There is another way to read Bishop Clark’s letter — one which scratches his henchmen behind their ears — and that is to consider all his language is veiled support for contraception and abortion. Read it again with that in mind!

He never comes out and denounces abortion or contraception. Does his “fundamental right to religious liberty” imply that contraception is a religious liberty?

“we Catholics will be required either to violate our consciences or drop health coverage for our employees?” Where is the simple alternative of civil disobedience? How can he even present sin as an alternative?

What does it mean: “we must make our voices heard on this important matter of religious freedom.” What does he see as religious freedom? The freedom to contracept? WHy don’t his words say “we must denounce forced coverage of contraception, etc.”

And what does he mean by “our efforts to do what is right?” Whose efforts? What efforts? and what does he think is right? Why don’t we read the specifics and his condemnation of a specific sin. Why is he turning over his absolute obligation to preach and teach to a website IF the people can/will go there?

In my opinion, this is garbled talk that can be, with a wink, interpreted either way. Read it again. See what you think. This is a travesty to put in a Sunday bulletin.

10. avatar dr_bernie says:

My wife and I are on a Pre-Cana team. NFP is taught in one of the sessions. I am not sure what is said about contraception since we are on another part of the team but I do know that the couple who presents this believe in and practice NFP.

11. avatar Raymond F. Rice says:

Bishop’s letter should come out on soft and narrow tissue so it can be used again!! LOL

I know Ben, Bernie,JLo,Hopeful. militia,annonymous et al. “Raymond!! Behave yourself!!”

12. avatar Mike says:

Have you EVER heard your priest give a no-frills defense of the Church’s teachings on contraception? In all of my years in all of the parishes I’ve attended, I have never once heard a homily that even broaches the subject. Why not?

The problem might not lie so much with our priests as it does with an unwritten diocesan policy. It turns out that there are some “sensitive” topics – not least of which is contraception – which, if mentioned in a homily given within earshot of a parishioner with a selectively-formed conscience, will sometimes result in said parishioner complaining to Buffalo Rd. about the “rigidity” of the homilist. Buffalo Rd. takes these complaints seriously.

In 2008 Kit Brookside (a pseudonym used by a lawyer from the Elmira area) described it this way on Rich Leonardi’s Ten Reasons:

My first-hand sources advise that generally, any homily that forcefully sets forth traditional Church teachings on homosexuality (i.e., the idea of loving the sinner but acknowleding and calling the acts involved “sin” vs. total inclusion up to and including marriage), morality, modesty in behavior and Sunday dress, explaining why there will be no nuptial Masses for “mixed” (Catholic/non-Catholic or second (non-annulled) marriages, supporting the Church’s stance on female ordinations are inherently suspect. These topics can cause one to be privately counseled, particularly when a parishioner kicks up a fuss or is offended by it and calls Buffalo Road – such callers usually involve parents of gay adult children (who don’t like hearing that their actively homosexual child is living in a state of mortal sin), or people who are angry and blame the Church and/or the individual “hardliner” or “old fashioned” priest for refusing to marry them/a family member to a non-annulled or non-Catholic person.

Unfortunately, I can’t divulge further or be more specific than these rather commonplace occurrences – trust me, what I could tell you would be deeply shocking to most reading this – but I hope this gives you a sense, anyway.

Essentially, because the Diocese and its Bishop have been putting out the message that rules are meant to be broken, and have ratified and condoned the public statements and actions of [F]r. Joan, Charles Curran, and others of that ilk, anyone who tries to be a bulwark of the Truth is seen as an obstacle that must be disdained, humiliated, and ultimately removed. Worse, this Diocese’s laxity has led to a dilution of the “Brand” and an expectation that the person’s, and not the Lord’s, will shall be done here – that the Church must conform to the erosion of the culture in order to survive, and not the other way around. Embracing that disordered way of thinking has led to the mess the DOR is in today, whether those in charge deign to acknowledge it or not.

(The [new Sacred Heart] organ’s great, though, isn’t it? Heh.)

13. avatar snowshoes says:

On this Feast of the Presentation of the Lord, which commemorates the first time Our Lord as True God and True Man, enters the Temple to fulfil the OT prophecies of the Messiah, carried by the Blessed Mother and St. Joseph, let us pray to the Holy Family to bless and protect this diocese. Come Lord Jesus!

14. avatar annonymouse says:

Militia – I’ve read that a few bishops plan “civil disobedience” with regard to this mandate. The problem, it seems to me, is just how to go about doing that. Unless the dioceses plan to self-insure for their health insurance, how will they find a plan that does not comply with these egregious, heavy-handed rules.

As an aside, if Catholics were to vote according to the teachings of the Church, our nation would be changed in an instant. Unfortunately, we are a disunified and not-well-catechized bunch.

15. avatar Richard Thomas says:

mike,

Can you imagine St. John Vianny cow-towing to a parishoner for stating the truth? He would preach using God’s name in vain was a mortal sin.

We need some saintly priests who will serve God first before serving a heretetical bishop. After all, every priest will stand before God and will have to answer for not preaching the truth on sexual issues. God help them.

16. avatar Scott W. says:

Pardon the tangential question, but how is the bishop of the Diocese of Buffalo and the diocese in general? I ask because there is a possibility of gainful employment up there.

17. avatar Hopefull says:

Bishop Kmiec offered his resignation about 6 months ago but it hasn’t yet been accepted and no successor has yet been named. Maybe Rome will combine the dioceses after Bishop Clark retires? They used to be one diocese. With all these church closings, why not increase the number of priests available to say Mass by closing one pastoral office? Do we still need two dioceses? Really?

18. avatar Richard Thomas says:

Any new bishop if he is worth his salt would have to do a massive house cleaning in the DOR.

19. avatar Richard Thomas says:

It is sad that the Church in Rochester has been isolated and cut off from the Majesterium and the new developments in the Church occurring in the last 20 or so years.

Divine mercy is not officially accepted and promoted. Wonderful documents like “Theology of the Body” and other marvelous writings never receive much support.

When Sister Faustine was cannonized, much of what was stated was from Fr. McBrien who ranted and was more hostile to the event.

Sadly, the Church is a backwater organization with only the efforts of a few keeping the fires going.

20. avatar Richard Thomas says:

I remember many pastors in the DOR begging their parishoners to “ead the bulletin” because nobody ever did so.

How sad a state of affairs that a bishop would simply stuff a letter of importance into a bulletin that few would ever read. I would also bet that few were instructed to read the letter in the bulletin.

This can substantiate Mike’s opinion that this was the best way to hide a message by a diocese that really is truely “Pro Choice”. Never want to hurt or tick off all the pro choice nuns that support him on womens ordination, contraception and the alike.

21. avatar JLo says:

The homily message at this morning’s first Mass at Holy Cross was that the world, that we, have become so materialistic, so wanting of things and accepting only of what is easy that this whole thing transpiring to take our religious freedom is our fault, “not just this administration. It’s been going on for years and years…”, he said, and then went off into the ads for the Super Bowl that people are all excited about for more materialism, to make his main point… we are to blame.

Nice convolution, don’t you think? Nice way to get off the needed message and lead around the bush to blame anyone and everyone and so no one, don’t you think, as though this is not a specific attack but comes from non-specific government folks in charge of our lives!

Of course man’s descent into this culture without God is where it all begins and is even the reason that the Catholic vote PUT the current resident in the White House, but one would think that a homilist TODAY would recognize that it was just such off-message non-preaching, such deviating from pointed issues and tenets of our Faith, that GOT us here!

I took the time to tell the priest that I believed his message was so weak, so convoluted, that it gave evil a pass. There was a man who heard and disagreed and said it was a home run, that as a 100% conservative, he thought the message was right on, and then he talked philosophy, actually recommending that I read Daniel Moynihan!! Yeah, that’s right, the same abortion-rights Moynihan who “led” in New York State for years, the same Daniel Moynihan who voted AGAINST the Defense of Marriage Act.

So there it was, so dumbed-down as to be discussing philosophy instead of this completely real threat to our religious freedom. Amazing how dumbed down we have become, that even Moynihan got it right when he spoke of deviancy newly defined.

It is so hard not having strong and wise leaders in the Church here. We sit in pews with people who neither know nor care what their Faith expects of them. Well, most haven’t experienced preaching which puts it to them! Such a wilderness of ignorance born of mediocrity is here in this diocese that I would wager that the Catholic vote in Rochester for the political party platform which is openly, wildly, anti-life is higher than the national average.

Now THAT’S material for a homily!

+JMJ, please bless America!