Fr. Kennedy Named Head of the St. Mary, St. Boniface, Blessed Sacrament Cluster

March 11th, 2011, Promulgated by Gen

According to recent conversations with Blessed Sacrament and St. Boniface parishioners, Fr. Robert Kennedy has been named the new leader of the St. Mary/St. Boniface/Blessed Sacrament cluster. Fr. Kennedy seems like a logical choice for the position, seeing as how Fr. Brickler, long-time pastor of St. Boniface, is due to retire, and Anne-Marie Brogan is notorious for flirting with, nay, warmly embracing dissident teachings regarding Church doctrine and theology. Fr. Kennedy is one of the Rochester priests who put his name on this document, which states the Church should “recognize the blessings of countless homosexuals in a variety of relationships.”

Update (Dr. K): A reader has commented that Fr. Horan will be taking over at Holy Trinity, Webster.

Tags: , , ,

24 Responses to “Fr. Kennedy Named Head of the St. Mary, St. Boniface, Blessed Sacrament Cluster”

1. avatar Matt says:

Actually, this is probably the best-case scenario for this cluster. I’m almost surprised it wasn’t given to AMB

And Fr Tim Horan is going to replace Fr Michatek at Holy Trinity

Fr. Kennedy is the new priest pastor of the Blessed Sacrament-St. Boniface cluster. St. Mary’s will continue to partner with Blessed Sacrament and St. Boniface but will not cluster.

I wonder if Anne-Marie Brogan will still “administer” St. Mary while Fr. Kennedy and a TBA priest perform sacramental duties there in addition to Bl.S./St. B.

5. avatar Monk says:

It is not a surprise that Fr. Horan would move on from Irondequoit. Initially, he didn’t think the IPPG plan for Irondequoit was in the best interest of the faithful but in the end he didn’t have the fortitude of his convictions to do the right thing and he capitulated to Buffalo Rd.
    When he arrived in 2001 at St. Margaret Mary parish, it was a large stable parish. During his tenure, the parish numbers declined almost in half and in the end he handed his parish and pastorship over to Fr. Tanck without a fight. How sad. With this new assignment, the bishop is giving him his silver coins and Irondequoit Catholics are left holding the bag. Holy Trinity beware!

Monk i suppose you think you could a better a job… Tell me how many parishes have you run?

Correct. The average attendance at St. Margaret Mary in 2001 was 1,326. Last year the church was averaging between 500-700 each week.

An inside source says that one of the fears at DOR is that new bishops appointed recently tend to phase out all lay pastoral administrators and will only put deacons in such a position if a priest is not available.

One can only pray that we get one of these.

If you look around the country, very few dioceses have lay pastoral administrators in the quantity that the DoR has them. Even fewer (if any) have pastoral administrators with the full administrative power and liturgical presence that is common here. The dioceses which have these lay administrators often call them something like “parish life coordinators.” There may be no more than five or so in a diocese and they often help with administrative duties at far off, small rural parishes. They certainly do not process in with the priest and give the homily.

10. avatar Monk says:

Fr. Horan’s own words…..the following is an excerpt from the infamous IPPG meeting minutes, May 20, 2009.:

“Father Tim addressed the IPPG committee with remarks leading to an IPPG consensus that the five Irondequoit parishes move away from clustering and exist as one parish…..it is likely that three sites will be needed. Father Tim’s words expressed as such: “I continue to believe that the model of independent parishes working toward intensive collaboration would best serve the people of Irondequoit. However, the emotional fallout that would arise with some parishes clustering or closing and some remaining as is, would in the end, only foster resentment and further divide an already divided community. I do not want to subject St. Margaret Mary and the clustered parishes to the trauma that my minority opinion would cause. I withdraw the proposal for parishes remaining independent.”

So the parish pastor priest lets himself become a “minority opinion!” Once the pastor folded, Deb Housel could move forward with THE PLAN. Welcome to the lay run church of the DoR! In fact Fr Tim’s worst nightmare came true, the result in Irondequoit was closed parishes, resentment, and a divided and financially crippled community. Sure he now wants to head to west Webster! The IPPG mantra was “individually we die, to experience union in rebirth, as one.” What a bunch of hog wash! Ask the parishioners at STA and SS if they have been reborn yet! In Father Tim’s defense…..It is tough to be a martyr, many do not have the courage to stand against the forces that wish to destroy the Church.

I know it doesn’t affect your point, but Fr. Horan will be heading to EAST Webster, not west. I know very little about him, but heard a very good opinion today. And if he could have acted better in the IPPG situation, well I can only hope he has learned from the experience, as I’m sure we all try to learn from our experiences and mistakes.

From my interactions with him, I find that Fr Horan is not a particularly courageous fellow; he neither picks fights worth picking, nor stands firm when others pick fights. That said, he’s at least not a heretic, and for Rochester, is about as inoffensive as one can reasonably expect in a typical parish.

Fr Horan had no real say in the IPPG situation, just as no one had any say when they closed the school. He was the minority opinion on that hand-picked planning group. The school closing, and the writing on the wall regarding the clustering probably had something to do with the declining numbers.
    I will welcome him to Holy Trinity. With all of the lay pastoral administrators around, I’m just thankful we are getting a priest! We can work the rest out.

Fr. Horan may prove to be an upgrade over Fr. Michatek. At least you’ll have far fewer Communion Services during the week.

Good point, Dr. K. Maybe we’ll also get back our First Friday Masses. That’s the first thing Fr. Michatek did away with. The school families at the time were really upset.

16. avatar Ludwig says:

From what I have observed, Fr. Horan is a man of God, a sincere follower of Christ, one of the most reverent, respectful men I have ever seen conduct the liturgy of the Eucharist, and a thoughtful confessor. I have never heard him “phone in” a homily; to the contrary, his homilies are always thought-provoking and speak directly to the parishioner.

He also saw my family through an incredibly painful time with absolute grace. The love and peace of God poured through this man in a way I just can’t describe.

We will miss him terribly.

Ludwig, I’m sorry for the loss you will feel, but thanks for the comments. Yours and some others I’ve heard the last couple of days are making me look forward to meeting Fr. Horan.

18. avatar Chasm says:

Complete lack of reverence in the St Margaret Mary service. It was pathetic. Never to return.

19. I don’t know Fr. Horan personally, nor am I able to comment on his ability as an administrator. What I can tell you is that his ars celebrandi is reverent and composed, and as pastor at St. Margaret Mary he permitted Fr. John Rossi, his weekend celebrant for a number of years, to deliver one of the most stirring, passionate defenses of the unborn I have ever heard from the lectern. Writing about it now five years later still makes me shiver.

20. avatar Ludwig says:

Chasm – from whom, and when?

21. avatar Matt says:

Fr. Ring to St Louis, according to a friend.

I don’t want to go to church anymore without Father Tim Horan there at st margaret marys he is young and fun and the jonly priest i ever really listened to homily

Webster is VERY lucky to have Father Tim!!!! I’m super jealous

I have been at ST.MM my whole life and the most I ever wAnted to go to church was when he became our pastor. So Holy Trinity consider yourself lucky. He does the homily from the heart, he doesn’t read it like it is rehearsed. So Monk try meeting him before judging him. I agree with anonymous, I may be traveling out to Holy Trinity. He made church fun with his humor but was able to get the message across. he will be missed.

Perhaps you people should try a bit harder at being Christians and stop judging those who have devoted their life to god and the people of their parish. They are only human and make mistakes as we all do, after all not one of us is without fault. so if you have nothing nice to say then please say nothing at all, Before you say the next nasty thing, go say a prayer instead and stop being so judgmental!