Archangel Open House

February 7th, 2011, Promulgated by Dr. K

On the topic of Catholic education, the Archangel school will be holding a special open house for prospective students and parents tomorrow, February 8th, from 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM and 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM. Archangel is an independent K-12 Catholic school located in the town of Irondequoit who prides themselves on the quality, traditional Catholic education they provide for their students. The students at Archangel attend daily Mass and receive an education in the faith that is not watered down, yet appropriate for each student’s age level and understanding. The institution is also recognized by the New York State board of Regents.

For more information about tomorrow’s open house, please contact the school at: 426-5990, or send an e-mail to: mrssullivan@archangelschool.com

Given that the open house is tomorrow, it would probably be best to make a phone call if you have any questions. Archangel is located at 95 Stanton Lane, Irondequoit.

Bulletin ad here.

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “Archangel Open House”

1. It’s misleading to identify the Archangel School as a “K-12 Catholic school” since the school has not received permission from the local Church authority to be called “Catholic.”

The Code of Canon Law requires that any organization of persons that wishes to be identified with the Catholic Church by using the name “Catholic” must receive permission from the competent ecclesiastical authority to do so. This law of the Church is found in Canon 216 which states:

Canon 216: Since they participate in the mission of the Church, all the Christian
    faithful have the right to promote or sustain apostolic action even by their own
    undertakings, according to their own state and condition. Nevertheless, no undertaking
    is to claim the name Catholic without the consent of competent ecclesiastical authority.

Of course Archangel School’s not going to get permission from the local bishop. It teaches fundamental Catholicism. If it was anything like St. Bernard’s then the bishop would be there with open arms ready to serve the guests their drinks. Wake up!!!

Archangel Catholic School must just be following the example of the DOR and doing what it wants regardless of Cannon Law.

4. avatar Eliza10 says:

I didn’t know they weren’t supposed to be called Catholic. That’s strange. Even if they are not associated with the Diocese? (or because they are not?) If I want to have a Catholic Bible study in my home, can it be called Catholic if I don’t have the Bishop’s permission? What about St. John Bosco School that meets at the Baptist Church in Fairport? Are they allowed to be Catholic (or do they call themselves Catholic??) I am just wondering how this works.

5. avatar Abaccio says:

The St Irenaeus Center is not officially endorsed by the Diocese, to the best of my knowledge. Are you going to tell me, GMR, that it’s not Catholic, either? There’s a difference between being in formal schism and having a lay apostolate.

“What about St. John Bosco School that meets at the Baptist Church in Fairport? Are they allowed to be Catholic (or do they call themselves Catholic??) I am just wondering how this works.”

The following can be found on the home web page of St John Bosco Schools. http://www.johnboscoschools.org. It is true that only the Bishop can confer the term Catholic on the school. That is what we hope and pray for at St John Bosco. The school is a member of the National Association of Private Catholic Independent Schools (NAPC*IS). Their website can be found at http://www.napcis.org/

St. John Bosco Schools is an independent organization. We are not affiliated with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester, New York, nor do we receive support from any of its parishes. We are not a “Catholic school” as defined in c.803.3, nor ought anything on this website be interpreted as making a claim to be a “Catholic school.” We recognize that only the local competent ecclesiastical authority can award this title.om/

7. avatar Eliza10 says:

Thanks for the information about St. John Bosco and their “Catholic” status. Interesting. I have heard such good things about that school! I wish it had been around a few years ago when I needed it.

I am still wondering, if anyone knows, that if I had a Bible study in my home, say using Jeff Cavin’s “Great Adventure” series, and advertised it as a Catholic Bible Study, would that be wrong, if I did not have the permission of the bishop? I am just wondering what the rules are.

Another example is that Johnette Benkovich has ladies Bible study group packages you can lead. Do these need permission of the Bishop, too?

8. avatar Abaccio says:

To the best of my knowledge, lay Catholics can certainly hold bible studies from the perspective of the Church without any parish or diocesan sponsorship–especially if you’re using material that has the stamp of SOME Bishop’s approval

9. avatar A Catholic says:

Archangel School in the bulletin add does not call itself a “Catholic School”- I think those associated with this school have been careful about this. The wording “Catholic School” is in the blog posting, not in the bulletin ad. Archangel School does try to teach the Catholic Faith as taught by the Catholic Church. The school also has the further pragmatic advantage of preparing students for the NY State regents exams and other NY State tests.

10. avatar Eliza10 says:

Thanks for the info. I have been personally involved at Archangel School, so I do want to affirm that what they offer is not some fringe kind of Catholicism, as can be implied by the above name “fundamentalist Catholicism”. It is definitely not that. Its truly 100% plain, simple Catholic. Nothing of its Catholicism could be characterized as being “ultra” anything. (Only butted next to to elitist ultra-liberal teaching does plain and simple seem a high contrast).

My involvement was a few years ago and I assume things are evolving. There is a new acting principal I see (the actual principal/founder is not involved in the day-to-day with the school). The school is certainly would be worth checking into. The curriculum is excellent. Personally, at the time I was involved, I found the educational approach pragmatic. I am much intrigued with the educational approach at St. John Bosco, which, like Archangel, also has good, plain simple Catholic teaching.

So it seems we have two schools within the DOR which we can depend upon for Catholic teaching.

It is my understanding that Archangels uses materials from Seton Home Study School, whereas St John Bosco, being a classical curriculum, uses Angelicum Academy home school material. I don’t think either school uses these materials exclusively. If you visit these home schooling websites, you can get a feel for either curriculum. Both groups seem to be very supportive of one another. They each use a different approach to learning. However, both schools care first about the souls of the children and want them to get to heaven!