News From a Reader

January 30th, 2011, Promulgated by Dr. K

I have no official confirmation on this, but I’ll pass it along anyway:

According to a reader, Fr. Kevin Murphy, pastor of St. Louis church in Pittsford, will be retiring prior to his 70th birthday for health reasons. The reader tells us that this announcement was made at the 11:00 AM Mass this morning, and that the bishop has permitted his retirement.

We will let you know if we hear any more details on this story. Please send us an e-mail if you know anything about this.

8 Responses to “News From a Reader”

1. avatar Matt says:

good. dude’s bad news.

2. avatar a victim says:

A priest told me a month ago that Fr. Bob Ring was going to be pastor there

Victim, it sure would make sense. The bishop has chosen his best candidates for the large east side parishes, if you catch my drift.

Retiring early due to health reasons and you see this as good news?

Matt: Whether you agree with him or not, “DUDE” is no way to refer to a priest. Please be more respectful.

6. avatar Matt says:

Anon, would you prefer “That stinkin’ heretic is bad news”?

St. Francis said, “If I were to meet at the same time some saint coming down from heaven and any poor little priest, I would first pay my respects to the priest and proceed to kiss his hands first. I would say, ‘Ah, just a moment St. Lawrence, because this person’s hands handle the Word of Life and possess something that is more than human. These hands have touched my Lord, and no matter what they be like, they could not soil Him or lessen His virtue . . . To honor the Lord, honor His minister . . . He can be bad for himself, but for me he is good.” (About a priest accused of a sinful life).

Fr. Murphy is a PRIEST in good standing with the Church. Again I ask, whether you agree with him or not, please show some respect and refrain from name calling.

8. avatar Bill B. says:

Anon 1:46 struck a nerve. I have had some different emotions reading some posts and I couldn’t put my finger on why; until now. I think that most people on any side of an issue may sometimes let thier lesser instincts take hold and become name callers rather than realize the other party is still a priest. Does not happen too often; however, it does. Reinforcement of what a the tradition unfolds is one thing, name calling and other verbal tirade that can come out is another; even if it is done for humor’s sake. We should remember that he holds the Lamb of God.