Ideas…?

July 7th, 2010, Promulgated by Ink

So, after one of the discussions in the forum and a conversation with a friend of mine and years of experience, I’ve begun to wonder… is there a patron saint of clothes shopping?

Think about it… for such an awful, tedious task of digging through rack after rack of awful clothes which you can’t believe anyone would wear, and all you want is something nice to wear to Mass…  (This is especially true for the female department, anywhere.)

Nominations may be made in the comment box.

10 Responses to “Ideas…?”

Well, St. Dymphna is the patron saint of the mentally disturbed . . .

Just joking, Ink. 😉

2. avatar praedicator says:

St. Francis de SALES.

3. avatar Bernie says:

Saint Jude. Seriously.
    Patron saint of desperate causes.

4. avatar Persis says:

Gen, St. Dymphna would be for the designers they are the ones who are mentally disturbed!

Praedicator, Good one!! 🙂

Bernie, you stole my answer! 😉

Ink, I feel your pain! I hate shopping for clothes! 🙁
    I will give you some advice I was given when I was in high school-
    learn to make your own!!
    Oh, how I wish I would have listened!!

5. avatar BT says:

St. Francis of Assisi or St. Clare. They kept it simple.

6. avatar Ink says:

Persis–I do make my own. But I’m also banned from major projects indefinitely after my last one. >_>; Zip me an email if you’re terribly curious, but let’s just say I ended up being up far too late finishing it.

Bernie–I think Saint Rita is the patron saint of lost causes.

7. Well I do know that I well get time off in purgatory for patiently going clothes shopping with my wife.

8. avatar LarryD says:

Ink – both St Jude and St Rita are patron saints of lost causes. And it’s St Anthony who finds them. (ba duh dum!)

How about Bd. Henry the Shoemaker?
    Or St. Hemma (var. of St. Emma)

9. avatar Susan Mary says:

One of the best-known Fatima prophecies was “Certain fashions will be introduced which will offend Our Lord very much.” Shopping is indeed a cross for a Catholic woman who desires to dress decently. How many men have “looked lustfully” at bare shoulders and backs, cleavage, mini skirts, see-through fabrics & shorts during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass? Church should be one place men can go without being tempted by the sins of the flesh, yet look at how many Catholic girls and even older women wear provocative dress at the liturgy? (Last month I happened to visit a different parish and an elderly lady sauntered in for Mass wearing a sexy tank top and short shorts.)

Compounding the problem is that few priests preach on modesty and chastity, and say nothing when scantily clad females present themselves for Holy Communion. (St. Padre Pio always insisted that ladies wear dresses 8 inches below the knee before entering his church. In Vatican City churches, one cannot display shoulders, cleavage, bare midriffs, and skirts must fully cover the knees. Those dressed inappropriately are not permitted to even enter until they cover themselves.)

Unless one learns to sew her own clothes (a skill I learned when the micro-mini skirts came into fashion during the 1970s), the shopping female has to search through racks of frankly sexy outfits to finally find something more traditional. (A sad commentary on today’s society is that even some clothing designs for little girls are provocative.)

A website that might help you is: http://www.modestbydesign.com
    Other internet searches will turn up other websites that carry decent clothing that can be ordered online.

As for a Patron Saint of shopping, I don’t know of any, but would suggest praying to St. Maria Goretti, St. Mary Magdalene, and St. Margaret of Cortona for guidance before hitting the local malls!

10. avatar Ink says:

Susan Mary, I know everything you say… I have three younger sisters, two of whom are on the smallish side (not really little but little enough) and some of the things in their sizes? They make me cringe. I won’t even touch the topic of shopping for myself… though we definitely brought it up in the forums.