Mazes Aren’t Just for Children Anymore

July 27th, 2009, Promulgated by Dr. K

In today’s Democrat & Chronicle there was an article about Quiet Meadows, a site in Canandaigua that features a meditative labyrinth designed for visitors to meditate upon different religions such as Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, and Native American spirituality.

I know I’ve seen that maze somewhere…

I just can’t put my finger on it….

Hmm…

Where… where have I seen this maze before….

Today’s D&C; also features an article about the upcoming church closures that may be worth a read. Apparently the blame is now being placed upon the economic recession. Here is a link to the article: click here.

18 Responses to “Mazes Aren’t Just for Children Anymore”

New age gurus have been running our diocese for some time now. I can only imagine what will be there next kooky idea.

I wish the progressives would get lost in these mazes.

3. Anon 5:20..hahahahha..me too.

I need some fortitude, novena style!

5. avatar Sed says:

Progressive Catholics gotta come from a different planet. That maze looks like a giant crop circle.

Is there to be serious and respectful discussion on this blog? I enjoyed reading a lengthy article on peace and meditation in quiet garden places in the D&C; this AM. Was that the same article in your paper, Dr. K? Could there at least be some acknowledgement that there was an article on prayer in the Living section of a newspaper?
    Susan

It obviously must be a different article that you are reading, because the article I read mentioned how this prayer labyrinth was used to incorporate Islamic, Buddhist, and Native American spirituality. In fact, let me cite this:
    "Although the original Quiet Garden Trust is steeped in Christianity, the Johnsons emphasize a global viewpoint. Ecumenical destinations along the route include the Mary Grove and the Buddha Grove. In the planning are groves dedicated to Islamic and Native American spiritual practices. 'I'm just learning about the Native American medicine wheels,' David said. 'And the four different directions they have to face.'"

I am not going to applaud the D&C; for printing an article on generic non-Catholic, nondenominational meditation. There is very little to applaud the D&C; over anyways, since their prominent Catholic writers are not particularly orthodox in their writings about the Church in my opinion (paging Mark Hare).

Yes, there are plenty of serious and respectful discussion to be found here. Any of the following threads contain this: here, here, here, here, and here. There are several others that I'm sure you'll be able to find if you dig through the nearly 100 posts of the past two months.

This blog takes many different approaches: news reports, commentary, humor, polls, videos, inspirational material, interactivity, etc. This particular post just happens to not fall in the "news report" category.

~Dr. K

How rude, Susan. You're a guest here just as I am, show some respect.

SUSAN Go blog someplace else.

10. avatar Lauren H. says:

Susan.. HUH? Why should we praise the Democrat and Liberal for a piece on meditation that has little to do with Christianity? That's like saying we should comment on how wonderful it is every time they publish a piece on Hinduism or Islam.

11. avatar Mr. B says:

Easy does it, people. God loves ALL of us – progressives, traditionalists and all in between.

It's our own pride that causes us to "get our danders up". The next time that we're meditating before The Blessed Sacrament (the best place for cathoics to meditate) we should consider our pride and how it ges in the way of God's work.
    Pray for humility. Pray for our Pope. Pray for our bishop.

God Blss all of you.

12. Why would I pray/meditate on some grass (and I don't mean marijuana) in field in Canandaigua, when I can be actually in front of the Blessed Sacrament and adore our Lord there?
    Yes, I do have pride in our Catholic faith, but it's a righteous pride. The Catholic faith is not the first among equals…as would be suggested praying with other faiths…The Catholic faith is the ONE true and ONLY faith Christ established. This all reminds me of that interfaith meeting in Assisi in 1987, when the Blessed Sacrament was cast aside for a statue of Buddha. This seems to border on breaking the 1st Commandment. "I am the Lord Thy God and thou shalt not have strange Gods before Me".

13. avatar Mr. B says:

The pride that I'm referring to is more of anger than that of pride in Mother Church.

I've been regularly attending Adoration of The Blessed Sacrament for 4 years now. The Lord has been slowly working on me over that period of time. My eyes have been opened to the fact that I'm extremely prideful.

I used to take offense often. I always wanted to have the last word.

Now, I listen more than I speak. I realize that God works through all of us. It's my job to figure out what has to be done (if anything at all). If I listen to my own voice (pride) I can't hear The Lord.

I detected some of those feelings directed at Susan. Please remember that pride is one of Satan's main tools.

God bless.

Did you notice that the Democrat and Chronicle published the story about the proposed church closings on the front page? Oh my, Bishop Clark just happens to be out of town and on vacation with his "friend" Bishop Howard Hubbard.

Bishop Clark is hiding again.

Where is the Diocese of Rochester spokesman and former Democrat and Chronicle religious reporter, Doug Mandelaro hiding? Usually he will twist the story to make Bishop Clark look like an innocent victim.

No more secrets in the Diocese of Rochester.

My heart goes out to the thousands of parishioners and former parish school students, who will suffer from Bishop Clark's proposed church closings.

You have no idea how much it hurts, unless you personally go through a parish closing.

Mr. B: "Now, I listen more than I speak."

But if you do not speak, others will not learn. A fear to speak leads to inaction, inaction breeds ignorance, and ignorance leads to liturgical abuses, lapse Catholics, and growing evangelical Protestantism.

16. Anon 9:27..Yep, Clark and Hubbard go on vacation together for the month of July. When he comes back, he'll write all about it in the Catholic?Courier.

When he should speak and act like a shepherd, he runs. Like when the Blessed Mother was portrayed as a whore in the movie the Hail Mary. Clark turned tail. He did likewise during the Last Temptation of Christ. He is a weak shepherd, at best. He needs a St. Joan of Arc to get him going.

Dissent doesn?t grow overnight. Rather, it is the result of the faithful gradually becoming desensitized to error. Over time the unthinkable become thinkable, then acceptable, and finally respectable:

17. avatar Mr. B says:

?Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.?
    -St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not sure that I'm afraid to speak as much as I'm starting to reaize just how much I need to rely on The Lord in order to accomplish anything.

It's very true that The Lord allows suffering so that we may draw nearer to him. There are all sorts of suffering in this world – including the suffering that traditional Catholics in Rochester are currently going through.

Offer them up for the man who will inherit this mess of a diocese.

I am a supporter of the sites that are bringing issues to light. Keep up the good work, but remember to have true christian charity.

We must forgive "7 times 77 times".

God Bless.

18. Mr B. –Thanks for your comments. Your St. Francis quote is so true and would be truer if Catholics knew their faith and the Gospel. We have had 45+ years of almost no true Catholic teaching in this God-forsaken diocese. You have to use words to make the Gospel understandable. Many Catholics have no idea what the church teaches. I use to keep my mouth shut and just put up with it. Then I realized I was part of the problem by not speaking up. So, speak up I did and very, VERY passionately about my faith.

The liberals (usually DRE crowd of politically correct women or those Ned Flanders type men) are mostly afraid of a man who forcefully speaks his mind. So, like St. Peter, I spoke my mind, quietly and respectfully at first, but then my passionate nature would kick in. And you can imagine what happened after that. Our church has become so feminized.

My nephew (12 at the time) asked me to be his Confirmation sponsor. Sure, no problem, but "you will know your faith before receiving the Sacrament". He agreed. We used to "Life in Christ" series and the "Baltimore Catechism". He knew I wasn't messin' around with him. He went in for his interview with the DRE lady. She said he wasn't ready yet. She was haughty and arrogant. I certainly could have been calmer too. So I fired off questions to my nephew about the social teachings of the church and he fired back the what and why of Church's teachings. All to no avail. He got confirmed in Scranton, Pa. and the director there said he was very well instructed.

So, then if this is the same Catholic faith (in Scranton and Rochester) how do you account him being denied Confirmation in Rochester, but approved in Scranton. Sounds like an agenda to me.

"True Christian charity" is a nice statement, but in practice it's not so nice sometimes. The truth needs to be spoken, yes. Christ truth is more fully dispensed through the Catholic Church. His true is knowable and not to be messed with.

I look forward to more of you insightful comments. It makes me think.

Oremus pro invicem!